Sunday, July 31, 2011
Saturday, July 30, 2011
A few months ago I started a watercolor quilt. I bought the fabric years ago, so I don't see it as a new project! When I arranged the squares it didn't turn out right. I sewed the 2 bottom rows and added a matching fabric with sunflowers. Then I made a new layout, this was much better.
It's my project for our weekly quilt meeting. It's simple enought to sew and talk at the same time! As usual I sew the squares together by hand.
This basket is a pattern from the book 'Quick Watercolor Quilts' by Dina Pappas.
Friday, July 29, 2011
Thursday, July 28, 2011
The first part of this ornament was inspired by Luiz's beautiful embroidery Good Morning. My Fairy garden inspired me to add feather stitches, rope stitches and beads. The embroidery is streched over an old CD. At the edge I couched some knitting yarn. There's a bigger photo of this ornament on my Flickr-page.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
When I made a woven trellis pumpkin on my quiltie Harvest, I took a lot of photo's to remember how I stitched it. I figured some of you want to give it a try too, so I wrote a little tutorial. If you're not familiar with the woven trellis you can find a tutorial at Pintangle. I used yellow perle 8 and green perle 12. The size of my pumpkin is 1 inch or 2,5 cm. I started at the left and made 3 long straight stitches in the shape of a banana. I just made tiny stitches over the straight stitches to do that. I started weaving from the bottom to the top.
Then I made 3 straight stitches for the second woven trellis a bit to the right of the first one. I secured the left straight stitch with tiny stitches through the first woven trellis and the fabric.
After weaving the second woven trellis I made 3 straight stitches at the right side in the shape of a banana and secured them with tiny stitches.
This is how it looks after completing 3 woven trellis.
Again 3 straight stitches at the left side of the third woven trellis. I secured the straight stitch at the right side with tiny stitches through the woven trellis and the fabric.
This is how it looks after completing 4 woven trellis. At this point you could put a piece of felt between the woven trellis and the fabric. I didn't.
For the last woven trellis I made 3 straight stitches and secured the left and right one with tiny stitches throught the woven trellis and the fabric.
For the stalk I made a few straight stitches and made satin stitches over them.
The curl is a whipped backstitch. At the bottom I made a few detached chain stitches.
Take a closer look at my pumpkin here.
Monday, July 25, 2011
This weekend I finished the last 2 pages of the fabric book for the TAST 2010 challenge. Page 9 has the stitches for weeks 34-37. Kiko's flowers was the last sampler I made in 2010. Page 10 has the stitches for weeks 38-44. I added one extra stitch: the houndstooth.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Saturday, July 23, 2011
Friday, July 22, 2011
Thursday, July 21, 2011
The zentangled alphabet continues. I made this Z for Kathy. I used Zedbra for the letter . . . . . . and Janine made a zebra Z for me!
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
This week I added 2 more rows to my Groninger blanket. It was sunny, so I could take some photo's in the garden. To make things easy, I just crochet the blocks together. Most blocks fits nicely.
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Monday, July 18, 2011
I made this 8 x 8 inch quiltie for Yvette. The green fabic with the button cluster is a velvet. The brownish red at the bottom is a linen from an old dress. The others are quilting fabrics. It started with this block.
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Remember my first experiment with glue and watercoulour paint? I had fun with it again. First I added a layer of varnish to spice it up. Then I cut it into different pieces for cards and ATC's. I managed to cut 2 inchies from the remaining parts and added some French knots with a gold metallic thread.
Saturday, July 16, 2011
I've swapped some older fabric ATC's. This cute fish is one of the ATC's I received in these swaps. Linda made it for me. This ATC with running stitches is made by Emily. I like the movement in this ATC. Be sure to visit Emily's blog, she wrote a great tutorial for making a window in an ATC.
There was only one more old fabric ATC left. It's part of my collection, I could not part from it anymore!
I made a series of 5 little birds, you can see them on my Flickr-page.
Friday, July 15, 2011
I had fun with gesso in my studio journal again. First I put some big sequins in the gesso and then a piece of pink tulle. Of course I wanted it to be interesting, so I made some folds in it. This is a detail of the page.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
These are the stitches for weeks 30-33 of the TAST 2010 challenge. I already wrote about the making of the samplers on my blog, just follow these links if you want to know more about them:
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Christina was the guest for this week's zentangle challenge at I am the diva. It's another string theory exercise, drawing your initials overlapping and use that as a string. I played with my initials on the computer, but didn't like the complete overlapping string. I printed it and traced it in my A5 sketchbook.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Monday, July 11, 2011
There was another birthday girl in our quilting group. I found my inspiration in the Japanese quilt she's making for her son. I used the same tutorial again, but this time I made flat beads and didn't use knitting yarn. The string is a piece of organza ribbon. I added some big buttons between the beads and a fan charm at the bottom of the string.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
It was fun to take my camera into the kitchen. I bought some Saturn peaches for the first time. They are yummie and fun. I also bought a pineapple for my husband. I don't eat it, but I like the patterns on the leaves . . .