zaterdag 17 maart 2012

Woven and whipped wheel tutorial

The TAST stitch for week 11 is whipped wheel. I repeated a woven and whipped wheel I stitched on a crazy ornament a few years ago. It was a present for a quilting friend, so I only had a photo to see how I did it. I couldn’t find my notes 
(I had no journal at the time), but when I started stitching I remembered how 
I stitched it. First I drew 3 circles with a water soluble pen on my rust dyed fabric. The sizes are 3, 2 and 1 cm.
This template made it very easy.
I used a DMC broder special for my wheel. First I made 8 spokes from the outmost circle to the centre. Then 8 spokes between them from the outmost circle to the 1 cm circle. And finally 16 spokes between those from the outmost circle to the 2 cm circle.
I started with a whipped wheel. When the first circle was filled with whipped stitches I switched to woven stitches. If you’re not familiar with the woven wheel, you can find a tutorial in Sharon’s stitch dictionary. Start weaving under the new spokes to keep the stitches in place.
I know they always say you need an odd number of spokes with a woven wheel, but with a simple trick you can use an even number. After completing every round, just go under 2 spokes instead of 1 and continue weaving the normal way. This shifts one spoke every round and is not visible when the wheel is finished.
After a few rounds I switched to whipped spokes again until I finished the second circle.
Then I made a few rounds of woven stitches and finished it with whipped stitches.
I hope to share a photo of my sampler tomorrow, it’s still wet after removing the water soluble pen.

22 opmerkingen:

  1. Wow Annet this is fantastic --thanks for showing us how.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. How wonderfully clever.... Thanks

    Arlene
    http://arlenes-crafts.blogspot.com.au/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. woww Annet!!that is wonderful wheel you created..thanks for the tutorial too..

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. This tutorial is very helpful. Thanks.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. That's gorgeous, thanka for the tutorial :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Thank you Annet for a great tutorial on this.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. This is wonderfully stitched Annet!! Thanks for sharing how you made it as I definitely want to try it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Fabulous interpretation of this stitch! Thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial. My own wheels look awkward; I worked them on evenweave and think I could better do them on hooped cloth. Your method of using spikes of varying lengths I would think help keeping tensions and bunching under control. That template is to die for! I must find one.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Annet thank you so much for this tutorial! It looks wonderful and I'm goign to give it a try!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. I love how this looks. I think of a basket when you use these colors. Really wonderful!

    Where did you find this tool? This is really something I could use!

    ~Faith
    Airy Nothing

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks Faith. I bought my template in a Dutch shop called So Low. I think you can find a similar tool at a store were they sell school supplies. It's normally used for mathematics.

      Verwijderen
  12. Thanks for this wonderful tutorial.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. would have loved to see how you started in the center, not sure how to do that. love it at the end.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks, RoseMary. I just started the same way as Sharon showed in her tutorial. You find the link to her tutorial in the first line of my text.

      Verwijderen
  14. Great work, both the tutorial and the wheel itself.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen