dinsdag 12 november 2013

Old twisted satin stitches

TAST stitch 89 and 90 is twisted satin stitch with and without beads
TAST stands for Take A Stitch Tuesday, a challenge at Pin Tangle.

The first thing I did was flipping through my embroidery books to find the twisted satin stitch. I do this with every stitch, because some tutorials speak to me more than others. This time I was very happy to find it in The Stitches of Creative Embroidery by Jacqueline Enthoven, because I also have the Dutch translation of this book. So now I know the name of the twisted satin stitch in Dutch: gedraaide platsteek. The drawings in this book are very clear and there’s a nice design with twisted satin stitches at the bottom left.
Twisted satin stitch is one of those stitches I learned and forgot all about it. So I’ll share the details and progress photo's on my TAST 2007 sampler today. I started with orange cotton a broder and a full thread of green floss. I didn’t had much different embroidery threads at the time.
The red perle 5 worked much better.
Twisted satin stitch is also in the book Embroidery stitches by Mary Webb. She suggests to use two different threads for the two parts of the stitch. Here I made satin stitches with black perle 5 and added the second part of the twisted satin stitch with green at the left half of the row.
I used the remaining green thread for another row of satin stitches.
For the right half of the row with black satin stitches I used orange knitting yarn for the second part of the twisted satin stitch.
In the green row I used yellow perle 5 for the twist and I mirrored the direction in some stitches.
The row in orange cotton a broder and yellow perle 5 is a variation. Instead of going through the same holes to make the twist I came up through the fabric a little left at the bottom and went down a little right at the top.
These are my experiments with beads and cotton a broder. At the right the way Sharon described it in her tutorial. At the left a variation, I added another bead after taking the thread under the first satin stitch.
There are only a few samples of twisted satin stitch in the Flickr TAST group. Luckily I knew there’s more eye candy at Quieter Moments.

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Wonderful examples and variations Annet. Thank you for sharing them all.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I had never heard of the Twisted Satin stitch before and am eager to try it. You have shown us a lot of interesting variations (already in 2007 you had this knack for experimenting and and seeing the possibilities to 'twist' the stitches).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. you have saved me time showing us the stitch is in Jacqueline`s book, will get mine off the shelf and have a go. It does work better with two colours the stitching shows up so much better

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen